Monday, September 22, 2008

Emma Parts with her Tonsils & Adnoids


4:00 am comes early.  I always knew that it did, but I gained some renewed appreciation for Roland's ridiculous hours this morning as the alarm went off and Emma and I rolled out of bed and on to the hospital for her surgery this morning.  Emma had been anticipating this day for weeks, frequently telling complete strangers of the various problems her tonsils had caused and that they would soon cease to be a problem.  We met another little girl in the pediatric pre-op room who was, amazingly, even perkier than Emma at 5:30 am.  They became fast friends and played with the Bratz horses the little girl's mom had just given her as a special treat for the day.  They were very cute and chatty about the procedures they would be having that day until an older woman with a clip board came and collected the group of hospital gowned victims and marched them en mass through the halls of the 3rd floor to the surgery holding area.   It was sad to hear the same two little girls about two hours later, just a curtain apart, moaning in agony as the anesthesia wore off and the reality of surgical pain set in.  Poor little Emma, I'm afraid, was not expecting to have so much pain.  And the promises of endless popsicles and ice cream are not quite the prize she had imagined . . .  Anyway, she was pretty funny before the surgery "Can we ask the doctor to put the tonsils in a jar?  Because, I will miss them."  

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Resistance becomes futile, you might as well blog! Welcome zombie. Poor, poor little Emma! We are so sorry for her pain...

the bates motel said...

fun that you guys started a blog. so cute that she made a quick little buddy. hope she heals fast, so she can enjoy the ice cream and popsicles!

Pattijean said...

What a surprise to see the Kent's blog! Yeah Mouse! - I have too many excuses at the moment, but they are starting to get old. One of these fall days...Dear Emma - just hide your milkshakes from Kaisa! The long john popsicles are the best in my book. I hope you recover quickly and you have my love and prayers. I know I had my tonsils out(adenoids are intact at the moment) because Aunt Deanna was really having a hard time with them and Mom said I had a little cold. I was five or six and Deanna was three or four...Quite the experience,but that's for another day! Now when I get a cold I really get one! I'm sure it will be right for you and glad you made a fast friend. ..I really didn't need to lose them, but I'm sure Summer can relate to it all. Love you, Aunt Patti

Crystal said...

Classic Emma through and through. I want to hear how long it takes her to be up and climbing all over everything, not to mention chattering up a storm. Good luck with post-op care.